When to submit
We are currently closed for submissions. Join our mailing list or keep an eye out on Twitter for our next call for submissions.
Who can submit
Anyone who identifies as LGBTQ+ is welcome. We’re particularly keen to platform underrepresented voices. This includes people of colour, trans* and working class authors, and writers with disabilities.
What we offer
If your submission is accepted, we’ll work closely with you on edits so that your work is the best it can be. We offer feedback to POC writers, regardless of whether the work is accepted for publication or not. We regret that we cannot pay contributors at this time (though we are applying for funding) but in order to recognise your labour, any donations made to Fruit will be divided equally among contributors.
What to submit
For us, ‘queer writing’ is disruptive and boundary breaking. We like to read stories which haven’t been told before and stories told in new ways. For example, there are plenty of ‘coming out’ narratives around; we’d only be interested in reading one if it did something new – either by being formally innovative or by presenting a different perspective. We look for writing which disrupts, breaks and plays with language. All kinds of text-based work is welcome, including poetry, short fiction, non-fiction and hybrid pieces. There are no restrictions on what you send us but since this is an inclusive space, we reject prejudiced views.
If there’s a book, pamphlet or online text that you love and want to tell people about, we’d like to hear from you. Feel free to pitch us your idea.
We’re always looking for amazing cover art. If you have something you’d like to see on the front of the Journal, let us know! There is also a page within the Journal to feature more of your artwork and ideas.
- Prose word limit: 3000 (shorter pieces preferred).
- Poetry line limit: 100.
- Review line limit: 1500.
- You’re welcome to submit one or more pieces of work up to the word or line limit.
- Please present your writing in .doc or .docx format if possible.
- Please include a short biography in your email.
- If you are a writer based in the North of England, let us know; we’re committed to publishing local talent.
- Simultaneous submissions accepted (but please notify us if your piece is accepted elsewhere).
- We don’t accept previously published work.
Submissions should be emailed to: email@example.com