Who Can Submit
Anyone who identifies as LGBTQI+ is welcome. We’re particularly keen to platform underrepresented voices. This includes people of colour, trans* and working class writers.
What to Submit
We like writing that queers content and form; we’re looking for innovation and different perspectives. All kinds of text-based work is welcome, including (but not limited to) poetry, short fiction, non-fiction and hybrid pieces. There are no restrictions on what you send us but since this is an inclusive space, we reject prejudiced views.
Unfortunately, we are not currently accepting poetry, due to a backlog.
We’re also introducing a reviews section for Issue 3. This will include reviews of writing by queer authors past or present. If there’s a book, pamphlet or online text that you love (not your own though!) and want to tell people about, we’d love to hear from you.
We’re always looking for amazing cover art. If you have something you’d like to see on the front of the Journal, let us know! There is also a page within the Journal to feature more of your artwork and ideas.
When to Submit
Any time! Fruit has a rolling submission policy. We aim to respond to your submission within a month. We are currently reading work for issue 3 which is due out in January 2021. To be considered for issue 3, please submit by 31st October.
What We Offer
If we choose your writing, we’ll work closely with you on edits so that it’s the best version it can be. In terms of payment, our cupboards are pretty bare. But we want to recognise your labour. Therefore, all donations made to Fruit will be divided equally among contributors.
- Prose word limit: 3000 (shorter pieces preferred).
- Poetry line limit: 100.
- Review line limit: 1500.
- You’re welcome to submit one or more pieces of work up to the word or line limit.
- Please present your writing in .doc, .docx or .rtf format if possible.
- Please include a short biography in your email.
- If you are a writer based in the North of England, let us know; we’re committed to publishing local talent.
- Simultaneous submissions accepted (but please notify us if your piece is accepted elsewhere).
- We don’t accept previously published work.
Submissions should be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org